Friday, January 30, 2009

this week's project

this is a dresser I purchased at a yard sale a couple of years ago for $10.  It is heavy, and fairly decent construction i think.  I had it in my daughter's room until a few weeks ago, I got her a new one.  It used to be white, with 3 white knobs, the rest had fallen off.  Now it's this fabulous turquoise color with brushed silver knobs, and houses my clothes.  My boy and I have been sharing a small 4 drawer chest for way too long, now I have 6 all to myself.  yahoo.


This lovely piece is just one of a pair. That's right I have two of these 100 lb. beauties.  They came from my neighbors trash, and originally from her in-laws who purchased and no doubt loved them in the 70's.  Each handle is a whopping 9 lb.'s of solid brass, they are currently on Craig's list, and up for grabs. I'll bet if you rubbed them down a genie would appear, but that my friend you must find out for yourself.
so, I painted the massive guys this great limey green color, and added matching silver knobs.  I still see the nastiness of the original peeking through, but I have to say that I quite like it.  The second one is painted on the other side of my bed.  So there you go

3 Pieces of fairly decent furniture, $10
Knobs, $20
Paint, $14
Two shades of green furniture, and a third shade in the carpet . . .
Priceless!



5 comments:

jord said...

loveeee them!
seriously so cute.
now we just need the pumpkin orange...
or did that get nixed for the limey green??

the artist's daughter said...

i don't know what, but I would still love to use it. help me figure out what.

Debra said...

Those turned out so great! I really like both of them. Good for you for re-purposing them. They'll probably last longer than any of the new junk you find at the store--at least the stores I can afford.

aimie said...

Ettie you are genius!! I love these. Your color choices could not be more perfect!

Megan said...

Inspirational...